Hat weather is here.....

I think we all enjoy summer but we all secretly hope the weather turns cold soon so we can all get the hats, gloves, mittens and scarves out!!

I love working on hats but loathe it at the same time. I love how quick you can finish a hat and wear it, but on the other hand it can turn out to be the most annoying project ever- the fit!

I can't remember how many times I had to frog a hat because the fit wasn't right... It was either too tight and my eyes were popping out of my head or it look like I had the church bell on my head...

But not this year...

I made a hat for my hat-fussy hubby.




I used Stylecraft Special DK in Khaki and 4 mm crochet hook. I used the original pattern by One Dog Woof and the pattern can be found on her blog here, it's called Lolly-Pom's Easy Ribbed Crochet Hat.
I used DK weight instead of the worsted weight yarn the pattern calls for so I had to adjust the starting chain to 60 stitches.
The pattern instructs you to work last 5 stitches on one side as slip stitch to shape the crown. I worked the last 7 stitches as slip stitch instead for 5 rows and 10 slip stitches the next row. I repeated this until the hat was wide enough to go round hubby's head.
The best way to work out the width is to measure head circumference which was 59 cm. I took off 4 cm for the generous stretch this hat gives you so the finished width of the bottom of the head was 55 cm. I would say this hat is size adult large.

I couldn't get away with not making a matching hat for my little boy.
For this hat I started with 45 chain stitches. I worked the last 5 stitches as slip stitch for 4 rows and 10 slip stitches the next row. The width of the bottom of the hat was 45 cm. My little boy will be 3 in about 3 months so this hat is toddlers 2-3 years size.

And at last I made a hat for myself!!!


This is my own design called Spin Me Around Hat. It is reversible as the spiral pattern is visible on both sides of the hat.  I chose the wrong side of the hat as I wanted to add my furry purple pom pom.

The yarn I used is Deramores Anti-pilling Chunky in Mustard. It is a beautifully smooth yarn and very easy to work with. I would say this chunky weight is comparable to some super chunky weights in other yarn brands. The hat works up really quickly so it is a very satisfying project as it only takes about an hour from start to finish.

You can find a copy of the pattern on Ravelry here or over on Etsy here.

Happy hat making x


SHOP YARN



Comments

Popular Posts